Carpeting is a huge investment and needs to be effectively cared for to maximize its lifespan. To make certain that a carpet lasts as many years as feasible, it is vital to have experts help you keep your carpet clean. Microorganisms grow deep within the carpet, which in turn could induce unfavorable health problems.
How often should I get my carpet cleaned?
Most carpet manufacturers recommend carpet cleaning every 18 to 24 months with a protectant reapplied. However we have found over the years that this is way too long to wait. In that period of time you will notice that walkways are going to start appearing and stains over that time just get ground in.
Like most people several different spotters and home remedy products have been used without being properly removed and the spots seem to get larger and larger. Well you’re in luck, because over our years of experience at Dr. Clean we have come up with a game-plan if you will to help you make a good choice that will help keep your carpet look good all year round.
If you have an active household, (kids, pets, or have family or friends over quite often) then you should consider at least every 6 months, but more realistically 3 to 4 times a year. Not every room needs this much attention but, the heavy use rooms and stairs/hallways should be considered.
Now for the homes where there isn’t much traffic but you do occasionally have guests over. We would recommend it at least once or twice per year.
Commercial properties can greatly vary depending on traffic, some require monthly or quarterly cleanings.
We do send out reminders to current clients every six months because time gets away from all of us.
What method of carpet cleaning do you offer?
Doctor clean mainly uses a method called Hot Water Extraction – HWE to clean carpets. We use truck mounted carpet machines that produce high heat and strong vacuum. Some people refer to it as steam cleaning.
We can also offer a low moisture encapsulation cleaning which uses a special product that binds to soil and as it dries it is then vacuumed away. This is a great method of cleaning for carpets with wicking issues or commercial carpeting. It is usually dry in less than an hour.
Do we have to move all the furniture for cleanings?
No. We ask that all the smaller, more easily removed items be picked up. Our techs can move items such as recliners or coffee tables. Items too large for one guy to move will be cleaned around. Some items we do not move are: plants, electronics, entertainment stands, beds, dressers, sectional couches. Most of the time it is very easy for us to clean around furniture that can’t be moved.
I have heard that cleaning your carpets will make them wear out faster…
Unfortunately this is a myth we hear all the time. The reality is that a dirty carpet will wear out much faster than a clean carpet. Removal of deep embedded soils will actually help prevent the breakdown of the fibers. Once the fibers start to fray out they quit reflecting light back to our eyes, appearing duller in color. On a microscopic level dirt and dust look like jagged sharp rocks and they just cut away like a saw or sandpaper carpet fibers.
Areas that get a lot of use are impacted the most and this grinding can cause a dulling dingy effect more commonly called traffic areas. The goal is to clean these areas before they get dull and dingy.
Another way to look at it is when you look at our clothing. Would you go 12 months without ever washing your shirt? If you did, how worn out would that shirt be? Well thankfully our carpets are not shirts, but they are made of the same type of fabrics. Cleaning them a few times a year will have a lot less of an impact on the wearing out of your carpets, then leaving the dirt and grime to be ground in over time will be.
How long does it take for the carpet to dry?
There are many factors to consider when it comes to dry times with carpet. The average time is between 4 to 6 hours, but it is not uncommon for carpets to take a full 24 hours to completely dry. A few things to consider when it comes to dry time. How soiled the carpets were. Sometimes areas that were very soiled require more cleaning which means more water was used in the cleaning process. Also how plush or thick the carpet is.
Finally the weather can play a big part in the drying process. Is it a wet or very humid day? Placing fans, turning on ceiling fans and having your furnace or A/C turned on will greatly help speed up your dry times. The optimal temperature is between 72 and 78 degrees in your home.
Do you guarantee stain removal?
Unfortunately we do not guarantee stain removal. However that being said we always try our best to remove those more stubborn stains. There have been many times that we have been credited for removing stains the others could not. The reality is that carpet is a fabric and some spills can permanently discolor or alter the original color.
You can see reading our reviews how hard we work to have satisfied customers. We encourage you to check them out!
Our 8 Step Process
- Pre Inspection: Our technician will walk through your home with you, thoroughly inspect your carpet, ask if you are aware of any trouble spots and give you an evaluation of the expected result before we carpet clean.
- Pre Vacuuming: Including edges and along walls. The large majority of soil in carpet is particulates. Dry soil removal is an important first step in the carpet cleaning process. We will do this before the carpet clean.
- Pretreatment: Of carpet for great penetration and soil suspension. Dr. Clean will precondition the carpet which breaks up the oxidized oils and resins that are binding the other soils to the carpet.
- Agitation: Dr. Clean will use a combination of a pile brush and wand agitation to help aid in the distribution of the cleaning agent as well as soil suspension. It will also loosen tangled matted fibers and help in keeping the carpet clean.
- Deodorizer: As requested before and after carpet clean. Our non-toxic positive Bio-enzyme is formulated to digest, eliminate, and encapsulate odors from pet and human urine odor, vomit, fecal, mold, mildew, organic rot, and smoke and other smelly things.
- Hot Water Extraction: The pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE) the process uses a combination of high water pressure for agitation, and hot water to increase reaction rate. The chemical activity of most cleaning solutions increases significantly as the temperature of the solution increases. Higher temperature solutions are also more effective at emulsification and suspension of soils. This improves the overall carpet clean feeling.
- Post Treatment: Eliminates detergent residues, speeds carpet drying, and makes colors really pop! It also prevents browning, gives carpet a wonderful, soft feel, and returns carpet to the proper pH for use and/or to apply a protection application post carpet clean.
- Fast Dry Time: Dr. Clean uses The Evolution carpet wand which is more efficient than any other wand on the market today. Through scientific testing, the evolution was designed for smooth airflow and boost water recovery performance, improving carpet cleaning leaving you with a clean carpet that feels and looks like new!
Carpet Cleaning and Air Duct Cleaning
711 SW Cambridge Ave, Unit B
Topeka, KS 66606
2725 Inverness Ct
Lawrence, KS 66047
Hours of Operation
Sunday - Closed
Monday 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Saturday - Closed